Tiny Eden

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Week 3 of 52: Photo Blocks and Finger Lickin' Good Ribs

This past week was a pretty good one.  I took my charge nurse class and I also picked up an extra shift.  There was a little peanut on our floor who I fell in love with and if I could have taken him home, I would.  I have known for quite some time how wonderful the women are that I work with, but they seem to get even more fabulous as time goes on.  They have taught me the art of confidence and they have faith in me at times when I might not have faith in myself.  Whenever I have a new task to perform that is out of my comfort zone, they encourage me and guide me.  Even if I don't get something on the first try, they are there to tell me that I still did a great job.  I have learned how to be a patient advocate and am in awe of some of my co-workers who did the right thing on Friday and didn't back down when we were concerned about a patient's well being.  In the end, the right thing was done and the physician apologized to us.  I work with a bunch of women who are cheerleaders for each other and I could not imagine myself doing anything else.  This is the work that I was called to do and this is where God wants me to be.  Last month, I went thru a period when I did not think I was supposed to be a nurse.  I think some of my co-workers picked up on that and showed me on days when I was working and even on days when I wasn't there, that this is what I was meant to do.  I am forever grateful to them for that. 

Sam is getting better and better slowly but surely.  I know he is itching to play tennis, but he still needs to give those ribs time to heal.  He has gained some weight.......WooHoo!  I would like to attribute some of those 8 pounds to my Pinterest recipes I have been trying as well as the ginormous tray of eggplant parm that I made.  I feel like for every pound he gains, I gain about 3.  Our swim and tennis club will have the pool open relatively soon so I should probably get to exercising!  Sam is almost done with busy season.  Only one more Saturday left and then we will be free.  Hooray!

On to my week 3 projects.  I made some ribs in the crock pot that were fantastic!  The only ribs I had on hand were country style, so they did not turn out the way they were probably meant to, but Sam inhaled them in a matter of minutes.  Actually, we were so eager to eat them because they smelled unbelievable that I forgot to take a picture of them.  Ooooops!  Trust me, though.  They were very pretty and very tasty.  Instead of making my own barbeque sauce, I used a bottled one.  It is my favorite.  It is called Sweet Baby Ray's.  Yummy!  I got the recipe from this fabulicious blog!  They were moist and juicy and if there had been a bone, I am sure they would have fallen off of it.  Sam told me I could definitely make these again.  I think they might have accounted for about 3 pounds of his weight gain. 

My second project was making photo blocks.  It is a rather simple method that I followed from this crafty video.  It shows you step by step how to do it.  I had no clue what gel medium was, but thankfully the helpful staff from Michael's did.  The other items that I needed included Mod Podge, paint brushes, a photo on regular paper, and a block of wood.  The block of wood that I used was of the ones that is already shaped and sanded and all of that jazz.  The video describes all of the steps very clearly.  Unfortunately, I have no clue what I did incorrectly, but Sam and I ended up with no eyes.  It is a great picture that I love, but we are heads with hair and no facial features.  I am wondering if it was because I used a color photo instead of black and white.  I am not willing to give up on this project, so I am going to find a method to use that works for me.  I have seen other people's results and they all looked great!  But mine did not work as well as I had hoped.

I hope everyone finds their calling in life and has co-workers, family, and friends who support you and guide you when you think you are alone.  During the past few weeks, I have learned so much about myself and it is because of the people that I am surrounded by.  Sam has taught me to live my life to its fullest and I have been trying to do that more and more each day.  Have a wonderful week!

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."  ~Albert Einstein
"Don't wait for some magic gift. Share what you are, dare to be vulnerable, and you will find people who count you among their deepest friends." ~Unknown
 
"Carry your candle.  Run to the darkness.  Seek out the lonely, the tired and worn.  And hold out your candle for all to see it.  Take your candle and go light your world."  ~Chris Rice

No comments: