Tiny Eden

Friday, July 5, 2013

The Sausage Suit

I hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th of July!  Every year, I say that I am not a fan of the 4th of July.  Deep down inside, I think that is a lie.  The memories I have from early childhood and the 4th are not good ones, so I that is why I say that I am not a big fan.  But, the memories that I have from later years are much better.  The happy memories that I have are family get together's in the backyard or on our deck with Gramps grilling hot dogs and hamburgers, sitting outside really late with the small kitchen tv perched on a plastic patio table playing the Twilight Zone marathon until the fireworks came on.  Then, we would sit and be able to see the Macy's fireworks from our yard, but we would have the tv on for the effect of the music.  No 4th was complete without the crazy Italian family whose yard backed up to ours having one of their parties.  Neal, who thought he was am opera star, would belt out Whitney Houston, Cher, and every Italian song he knew on his Mr. Microphone, but our favorite was the Happy Birthday medley he would grace us with for his brother, Sal's birthday.  It just so happened that his brother's birthday was July 4th.  The deck in their back yard would be his stage and everyone would be sitting in the yard with all eyes on him!  It was all fun and games until he would start screaming at mother and grandparents in Italian and cursing at them - all of this while still on his Mr. Microphone so half of Maspeth could hear him.  We would all just sit and laugh, thankful that there was at least a fence that separated us.  We won't even talk about what their poor dog, Rocky, endured.  We were always trying to figure out ways to help the dog escape that insanity!

On to some more pregnancy "woes".  Every year, Sam and I join the swim and tennis club that is associated with our subdivision.  Sam uses the tennis part and I use the swim part.  What is it that you need when you go swimming?  That's right, folks.  A bathing suit!  Not too long ago, I made the trek to Old Navy to find a swim suit.  They didn't have any maternity swimsuits, but they did have some tankinis that can be used for maternity.  There is some rouching on the side that makes it rather easy to accommodate a growing bump.  Normally, I am a small in a swimsuit.  Silly me thought that I could get away with some small suits, but also grabbed mediums in the same suits - you know, just in case.  With delusions of grandeur, I tried on the first suit in small.  I should have stopped when I realized it was really difficult to get it on.  I am not sure if anyone is familiar with shoving sausage meat into its casing, but it kind of went like that.  I can only imagine what the people next to me as well as the dressing room attendant must have thought was going on in the dressing room with all the grunting, huffing, and puffing going on in there.  And that was just getting it on.  The harder part is getting it off.  As I stood there with one arm stuck over my head and the other arm papoosed into the suit, I really thought I was going to have to take a walk of shame out there to ask someone to cut the suit off.  You would think that I learned my lesson the first time, but the second suit looked like it was cut differently and was a little more forgiving.  Yeah, not so much.  With more grunts, puffs, and tugs, I succeeded in getting the first suit on.  I broke out into a sweat once I realized that this suit was the same exact cut as the last and it was going to be just as bad getting it off.  Well, it ended up being worse because now I was all sweaty.  The suit actually made a squeaking noise as it rubbed up against my skin!  At that point, I thought Crisco or scissors were my only hope.  I took a deep breath and begged God to get this suit off me in one piece and without dislocating an arm or a shoulder or an elbow.  I promised that I would not try on another small anything, ever!  My prayers were answered.  Oh what a relief it was to see that the next size up slid on with ease!  Oh what an embarrassment it was to leave the dressing room more than 45 minutes later with my face beet red, panting, hair in a point, and covered in sweat.  All of this because I was too stinkin stubborn!  I managed to leave the store with 2 tankinis and I even ventured going to the pool.  Needless to say, I learned my lesson!

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and staying cool!  The countdown is on until my family comes for a visit.  I can't wait!!!!

"Think of stretch marks as pregnancy service stripes."   ~Joyce Armor

"A mother's joy begins when new life is stirring inside... when a tiny heartbeat is heard for the very first time, and a playful kick reminds her that she is never alone."   ~Author Unknown

No comments: